Reproduction of Pots à feu - Architectural components - Arles Town Hall (13)
January - February 2007
The context of the project
Perfection of a material resembling limestone for the making of six "pots à feu" of 600kg.
• Use of Arkheïa database on natural stone
• Realisation of pre-formulation tests
• Optimisation of pre-formulation
• Realisation of witness samples and validation by the site manager
• Preparation, packaging and delivery of ready to use product
Design of moulds and pouring of pieces by Ateliers Merindol - Groupe Quelin.
In the heart of the city, a symbol of power and a witness to a century of magnificence, the Town Hall completes the view of the place de la République. Finished in 1676, after many studies and a difficult time, it marks the triumph of classical architecture, inspired in particular by Jules Hardouin-Mansart, who was appointed official architect to Louis XIV in that same year. It replaces an old communal house which was built between the King’s residence (the old Palace of Podestats) and the clock tower that the town councillors wanted to conserve. The building is particularly admirable for the richness of its decor, sculpted for the major part by Jean Dedieu of Arles, and for the vault en berceaux in its vestibule, a very bold technique at the time. It is a listed building, as well as being the base of the elected representatives of the town and part of the town administrative personnel.